Monday, January 22, 2018

Week 40

"I tried to stop smoking before, I literally turned purple, I looked like freaking Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory."- Christine


Yo yo what's up! Another hectic week but welcome to the life of missionary work! Last Monday we went up to Butte and hung out with the other missionaires as well getting our oil changed in our car. We love getting out of Deer Lodge and exploring other places just because Deer Lodge is hecka quiet but we still love it. (Called deer lodge because there is literally only deer here #wherethepeopleat) 

We found a ton of people last week so we are super excited to go back and to teach them more. We still have managed to teach 30+ lessons with some of the changes in the mission that have thrown us off but we are starting to get the hang of it. Thirty lessons a week is for chumps so we need to step it up next week. 

District meeting was the bomb. I was asked to give a discussion and we did a super fun role play with teaching the restoration and it was just poppin. We do alot of driving in this area because it's spread out and our meetings end up in Butte alot so we are kinda stressing on miles this month. Pray for us so I don't have to look all janky riding my bike around. The rest of that day we spent in Philipsburg which is a branch we cover about 20-30 people. We met alot of people and got some great return appointments! We ate at this amazing bbq place and went to the famous candy store there and I regretted every bit of it. Now only having less than nine months left I need to lose the 15 pounds I gained in Great Falls :) what a joy. Okay best part of that night...we went to a Baptist church service. So the back story to this is we were invited to come help with their youth and we thought it would be a great service opportunity. Well we showed up and none of the kids could make it since the flu was going around. SO, we got preached to by the preacher for an hour and it was so awkward and we were sitting in the front so we didn't want to be rude and just stand up and walk out so we stuck it out. They were amazing and such kind people though. We have kept in touch with some of them since then! 

Thursday's and Fridays are always great because we get to do service at the senior center as well as the food pantry and it's a blast. They give us free food so I'd say it's a plus. Thursdays of course are slower with weekly planning but we think we are starting to get the hang of the new area book! Friday we had great lessons. One was with Shane one of our investigators who is set for baptism on the 28th of this month! He's a tough cookie! Shane used to be one of those people that would chase the missionaires off because he used to practice I guess "Satanism". It's crazy now seeing who he is and his desire to change. This is what I love about missionary work. I love seeing the growth and the light in their eyes, it's priceless. The other lesson was with Will and he's a trooper. Will has been waiting on a kidney transplant for a while now and was told four years ago that he wouldn't make it this far. But hey he did because he's awesome! The greatest thing of that lesson was hearing Will laugh and just being grateful for the life he has been given. He's such an inspiration! There are alot of great people here that are being prepared and I'm pumped! We need to always be thankful! "Happy people are thankful but thankful people are happy." 

HOLD THE PHONE. So remember Kristy Vandeberg from Great Falls? She was a member I taught there and I just love her to pieces! We got to go up and see her and she's just a crack up. She's wild but I love her. She said she wanted to come to church and surprise the bishop so we were like yes you should come! She was kinda on the fence about it but when we walked into sacrament yesterday morning there was Kristy sitting down. I ran over to her and was so excited. This was her first time to church in 20 years. I am so proud of her! She looked over at the bishop and I and said she came because of us and my heart was full. I was like wow someone actually likes me haha! Little miracles. 

Yesterday we also had a convert baptism! His name is Keith! Keith has been taught back and forth by missionaires for over a year I believe both here and in Kalispell. I didn't get to know Keith very well but just by the few times I have met him I just always knew there was something special about him. Every baptism is amazing because you get to witness seeing God's children come back into His fold. 

I just have to say...my companion is awesome. One day we sat down and had a deep talk that left us both crying. She inspires me and I am grateful that I have this opportunity to learn from her. I've often been reflecting back on my first couple months out on the mission and how lost I felt. I couldn't teach for anything! Sister Phillips is so prepared and a rockstar! 

I have a strong testimony of this gospel. Happiness is found in the gospel of Jesus Christ. A quote from the movie "The Otherside of Heaven" says: (forgive me if I mess up the words) "How do you know it's true?"...."I believe you and I know it is true otherwise you have come an awful long way to tell a lie." I know that this church is true and that I am here serving because I love the Lord and because I know that he lives. I am grateful for his atoning sacrifice and to know someone loved me enough to do that. Jesus Christ didn't just pick a few of us to die for, he died for all of us. I love you all dearly! Keep the faith. 

"We owe God the same faithfulness that He gives to us"

Pictures: 
1) The amazing Sister Shaw who I miss so much! 
2) Former BOMB missionaires from this mission (they are so cute) Sister Fronk, Sister Dayes and Sister Shoemaker! 
3) Keith! (I'm so awkward) 
4) Me being me 
5) HOT MESS
6) My cute companion 
7) Just waving to my friends 
8) Bbq place HOLLA (I didn't realize the nachos were this big) 

Love,

Sister Austin Miles

PO Box 284 Deer Lodge MT 59722

Montana Billings Mission 










No comments:

Post a Comment