Monday, January 22, 2018

Week 42

"Nephi touched the butt, wait I meant to say Nemo touched the butt." -Sister Phillips



Goodmorning! Wow what a busy but eventful week! We found six new investigators and we are so excited! Shane was baptized and confirmed a member of the church and we couldn't be happier! From being in Deer Lodge only a month I have seen so much growth in Shane. He was that guy that had tons of piercings and was good with the color black. He underestimated himself for sure. The day of his interview he showed us that he had just taken out the last piercing he had. Prior to this he said he would never take it out because of how much money it costed him but I know that the spirit softened his heart. Sister Phillips and I bought Shane a white church shirt that he did not own and he wore it to his baptism as well as to church. He said "I own no white and I look terrible in white" but he showed up and said "I actually like this color on me." The color white is pure and symbolizes to me holiness. We are now in the process of getting Shane to the temple to partake of more blessings that Heavenly Father wants him to receive. 

We had exchanges last week and it was so fun! Both Sister Jensen and Sister Kezele stayed in our area to help us more with our work which was much needed. I was paired off with Sister Kezele for the day and I just absolutely adore her. She has always inspired me since the beginning of my mission. She has a good heart and a huge desire to serve even when things around her may not be the most stable in her life. She's courageous.  

Wednesday is our day in Philipsburg so we went down to Anaconda first and had our district meeting. We needed some McDonalds after that hectic time with the Elders let me tell ya. So one of our investigators invited us to go sapphire hunting and we were like um we can't do that unless it's a monday. He never gave up. We ended up going and he payed for us to get in and it was so awkward, we looked like we were on a date. Sister wives up in here. We attempted to teach him while doing all of this as well. 

Thursday we had lots of service! One of our service activities was helping a member fix up her trailer that she had five cats in. Funny thing is that Sister Phillips is allergic to cats so the whole time she was wheezing haha. The things you do for service! 

Friday we had a harvest dinner down in Philipsburg, the branch we cover, and it was so fun! This past week we have ate so much so every morning we have been getting up to run to help us feel better about ourselves. It's torture! 

Saturday was the good ol Shanes baptism! I gave the talk on baptism and Sister Phillips gave the talk on the Holy Ghost and it was an awesome day! The rest of the day went on with studies, service and some lessons! We went later that night to an investigator named Tammy who has been going through some things recently. When we showed up she was expressing how she felt unsafe and how her anxiety was going through the roof. At the end of the lesson we asked her if there was anything we could do for her and she said "I feel alot calmer now and better...you girls did it." We then went on to explain the power of the Spirit and it was just awesome how she was able to recognize the difference she felt. 

Yesterday was quite crazy. We had to first go to Shanes confirmation in the Deer Lodge ward then we had an hour and a half drive to Philipsburg. We were asked to speak in church so we were in a hurry all morning. We had a wedding dinner yesterday and we were like noooooo more food. The day went on with some great lessons and finding some awesome people! The work is really moving along here! We are pooped from the week but the busy days never stop! 

Today we were asked to attend a small funeral service for one of our part member families. This family is absolutely amazing. A couple Mondays ago they had asked us if we would come over to talk with them. My selfish self first thought "man it's preparation day though." When we arrived in the hotel room that they were soon to be kicked out of I saw the most beautiful image that I can never forget. We were showing a video called "Mountains to climb." In the middle of that video I looked over at a father who had just spent his last $7 to buy food for his children. The young daughter and her dad were hugging and she looked up at her dad and said "I love you" and he responded back with "I love you too." I was humbled in that moment realizing that this life is not about me. My mission is not about me, it's about others. The mother was 16 weeks along in her pregnancy when she lost the baby. Today we will go to be there by their side as a member will dedicate their child's grave. Something touching about the dedication of a burial spot is that "the place will be hallowed and protected until the Resurrection." When I read this I got chills. The priesthood holder who will be dedicating the grave will stand at the head of the grave and face the east because when Christ comes, he will come from the east. 

I have a testimony of the Plan of Salvation, that those who have passed on we will see again. That is the blessing of the temple. I am touched and will forever be grateful for this gospel and the blessings that come with it. 

Happy Halloween eve! Tomorrow we have to be in by six for safety purposes so Sister Phillips and I have party plans! 

I love you all so much! I invite you all to think of the things you have so greatly been blessed with and to thank our Father in Heaven. 

Have a wonderful day! Keep the faith. 

Love,
Sister Austin Miles

PO Box 284 Deer Lodge MT 59722

Montana Billings Mission








No comments:

Post a Comment