Monday, January 22, 2018

Week 52



"Sister Miles, here's a Snickers bar because you're not yourself when you're hungry."- Elder Black


Goodmorning lovely people! Well I officially hit one year! So crazy! Now I'm really getting nervous about how much time I have left. Lately it's been in the 40s and to us that is HOT. I haven't been wearing a coat! I don't know how I'm going to survive back home in California! 

I'm sure everyone knows by now but I'm so sad to hear that President Monson has passed. What a wonderful example he has been to me and to others. One of my favorite quotes from him will always be "It is better to look up." He taught me what true discipleship was but most of all he taught me what it truly means to a line your will to the Fathers. He is a perfect example of a consecrated man. 

Last week was another adventure! I was stress sick which caused me to sleep most of Thursday and be dragged along on Friday. Luckily it didn't last too long but Thursday was brutal. Sister Mounteer looked at me and said "you look awful." That's love haha. I managed to get myself up to make it to dinner that night and to do some work. We ended up finding two new people that night so it was a success! Lately we have had to drop quite a few people and have been having a hard time finding new people but the Lord promises us blessings as we are obedient! The elders noticed that I wasn't doing too hot so they all decided to tease me (as they do) but topped it off with giving me a snickers bar because apparently I'm angry if I don't eat a snickers bar. I have brothers every area I go to and they all drive me crazy sometimes but I love them.

As I mentioned in my last weekly I got to go to the temple! Sister Mounteer and I are planning to go sometime for the Tuesday 6 am session so it'll be worth it. 

We had zone conference last week and it was amazing (stressful). I definitely shed some tears at the worrying of not being good enough or falling short. This transfer focus is on being a more consecrated missionary. It is very stressful for me but I've also seen so many blessings as I'm striving to be more like my Savior Jesus Christ. A question that was asked was "What do I owe the Lord?" I would like for you all to ponder on that question. In another talk we are studying there is an amazing paragraph in it I would like to share: 

~"Paraphrasing C.S. Lewis the Lord says to  us: "Give me all. I don't want so  much of  your time, so much of your talents and money,  and so much of your work:  I  want  You. All of  you. I have not come  to torment or frustrate the natural  man. but to kill it. No  half-measures  will do. I don't want to only  prune a branch here and another there; rather, I want the whole tree out. Hand  it all over to  me, the whole outfit, all of  your  desires, all of your wants and wishes and dreams. Turn them  all over to  me, give  yourself to me  and I will make of  you a  new self in  my  image. Give  me  yourself and in  exchange I  will  give  you  Myself. My  will, shall become your will. My heart, shall become  your  heart." ~

Now I ask again, what do you owe the Lord? 
(I'll come back to this)

Most of our week we did alot of tracting in hopes to find some awesome people! We did tract into a few people who said they could potentially be interested so that was a plus! We tracted into this one lady and she opened the door and said "there's no soliciting here" and Sister Mounteer the innocent person she is said "oh, but we're not selling anything." The lady then responded (this made me laugh) and said "well I wouldn't want to sell Jesus." I was very confused and I'll just leave it at that. 

Sometimes when you're tracting for so long you get bored so I started a snowball fight with Sister Mounteer and was chasing after bunnies so I guess you can call me dignified. We have also got stuck a couple of times and have had people come to our rescue so that was nice. For wheel drive doesn't do much justice in Montana winters. Oh! Another interesting story as we were knocking on someone's door; we knocked on this part member families door and this little cute boy answered. We asked him where his parents were and he said "My mom's not here and my dad's in jail." Um.....he then closed the door and we went on our merry way. Everyday is interesting in the mission field. 

We have a wacky upstairs neighbor who always seems to wake us up. He constantly plays his music or has his dang dog barking all the time. We don't know his name so we refer to him as "Mr. Man." So creative of us. 

Anyways, yesterday was a great fast Sunday! We moved into the new building for one of our wards and it's beautiful. I have never been in a fresh new church! Echo Canyon ward is huge! We fill up the whole chapel plus most of the gym in the overflow. So amazing! When we broke our fast I definitely ate too much. The members gave us Yohoos to take to go and it reminded me of home! 

The rest of the week is history. I love you all and hope you had a wonderful new years! This is a time for you to set some new goals! My goals this year are more focused on how I can be more like our Savior. 

I just wanted to leave you with this last quote: 
~"Some time  ago  I  saw a  movie  on the life  of Martin  Luther.  He  was  about to be  tried  for  heresy. Shortly  before  he  was to meet with the  Court of  Inquisition, his spiritual mentor (a  monk who had trained  him  and loved him)  was cutting  his hair  with a razor. At one  point the  monk reprimanded  Luther for  having turned  the world upside down,  leading  the world in revolt  –  Protestants against  Catholics. Then in a  stirring  moment,  Luther  grasps his arm and asks:  “You wanted me  to change  the world. Did  you  think there  would be  no cost?”  The  Lord  demands  our whole soul  on the sacrificial altar. That is the price  we  must  pay, and  when we  do, we  then  become instruments in the hands of  God."~

I testify that there is a cost to be more like our Savior and that is to give up the natural man. I know that the Savior lives and he wants us to obtain all the blessings he and our Father in Heaven have to offer us.

Keep the faith! 

If you want to see more of my pictures and my mission I can add you to my drive!

Love,

Sister Austin Miles

2215 Monad Rd. Apt. 4
Billings MT, 59102

Montana Billings Mission










No comments:

Post a Comment